Saturday, June 11, 2011

I made it!



Hey everyone!

I somehow managed to make it in one peace to Uganda!! It was a really long couple of days flying here as I went through four different countries, but I finally made it! Everything is so incredibly different than what I am used to. The driving is the first thing that really caught me off guard. Everyone drives all over the roads and there is constant honking. I think we almost hit a couple of people on bikes and bodas (motorcycles). Trying to cross the street is a whole other story. It's a lot like Frogger, the game, where you have to go fast and dart between the cars. . . good times!

It's a bit muggy here and I am hoping my body will adjust to the temperature. Our house is very humble. . . I don't know how else to put it. It's a 3 room- total! I would guess it's somewhere around 500 square feet. We have bunk about 9 bunk beds stacked 3 high, in each room. We are literally living on top of each other. There are 21 people in the small, humble abode. We had to move the table out to the courtyard in order to accomodate everyone. We luckily have a bathroom with a shower-it's supposedly warm when the electricity is working. I had cold shower this morning. I think the electricity works every couple of days. It was all pretty overwhelming to step into these circumstances, but I asked for simplicity and that is exactly what I am gettting.

We walked through our village, Lugazi, yesterday just to explore. All of the kids shout out at you "Muzungu!", which means white person I believe. They wave and say "bye" which I was told they think means hello. A bunch of them would run up to me and touch me, a lot wanted to hug me or do "bunga" which is like stones or knuckles. It's my favorite part seeing all of the kids and how big the smiles on their faces are. The people here are already pulling at my heart strings.

We are taking it easy the next day and then tomorrow we have a team meeting to start getting projects going. I will try to keep you all updated on the wild experience I am having here.

much love,

Andrea

12 comments:

  1. Sounds really exciting... When I was in Iraq all of our guards were from Uganda! They are all really nice people and the language is pretty cool. It will be cool to hear about your experiences. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you finally made it! I'm also super excited that I still have some sort of contact with you through this there blog! Have a blast and stay safe!
    I'm not gonna lie, living 3 high might freak me out a little!:) Wish I was there playing with you. Have fun from the Hottle's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear you made it safe! We're so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is nice that I will be able to keep track of what you are about. I miss you, but I am excited to follow your adventure. I am so amazed at your bravery! Love you so much. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrea,
    We are so excited to hear about all your adventures. Good luck with the showers!

    Love ya,
    Genene

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you made it, and we can't wait to hear about your adventures! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, just reading this makes me miss Venezuela. Funny huh? Enjoy yourself down there. It always makes for amazing experiences when you simply lose yourself as you work for the benefit of others. Take care and keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe you are really in AFRICA!!!! I will live vicariously through your posts. Seriously, you are one gutsy woman to do what you are doing and I have so much admiration and respect for you. I can't wait to hear more about what each day brings. I love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Showers! What kind of luxury cruise is this! Beds too! A house! And neighbors who like to see you? Makes me want to move to Uganda. You probably get food everyday, too. Don't even have to use lotion because the air is so moist. And just think of how strong your immune system will be after adapting to the new environment.
    We all look forward to hearing from you and sharing your experiences. Have fun and drink deeply...
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to hear you made it there o.k., how's the food?

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  11. AMAZING AMAZING! I keep looking at your picture thinking "She's got to be photoshopped in!!" I love your blog and love you!!

    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete